Thursday, August 06, 2015

The Knack... and How to Get It


1965, UK, directed by Richard Lester


Watched in the interests of enjoying David Cairns's impromptu Film Club in spoiler-free mode, although plot is hardly the prime driver for the film, so unusual in terms of British filmmaking of the period. Perhaps it's the young-ish cast, but it put me very much in mind of the zest and experimental spirit of a Godard picture from roughly the same timeframe, including on the visual level (the cinematography is frequently gorgeous, while there's a beguiling what-might-happen-next aspect to the overall tone). Like most people of my age group, I first encountered Michael Crawford as Frank Spencer in the sitcom Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em, so the mere idea that he had an earlier -- and entirely respectable -- existence comes as a continued revelation. 

No comments:

Index

List of all movies

Most of the images here are either studio publicity stills or screen captures I've made myself; if I've taken your image without giving you credit, please let me know.

About Me

Boston, Massachusetts, United States